Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cows!!!

Shalom from Pittsburgh, PA!!!

Today started bright and early when we knocked on our girls' doors at 5:45 am. We prayed, read Torah because today is the Fast of Tammuz, ate breakfast, and we were on our way! Quiet hours (the first few hours on the bus when we try to make up for the sleep we didn't get the night before) failed this morning because everyone was too excited. I was very tired at first but perked up when we got to our first stop of Wheels- Kreider Dairy Farms in Lancaster, PA!!!
The dairy farm tour was really cool but I was a bit concerned about the welfare of the animals. We had a really nice old retired dairy farmer man who told us about the production of milk products on the farm and he told me about the treatment of the cows. I still am worried about the hens though. Anyway, the kids really loved it and especially when we saw the cows getting milked on a carousel for cows!!!! They make a complete rotation with electronic milkers on them and when the rotation is up they are done getting milked!! The tour ended with a sampling of the delicious ice cream they make there (shame about the siege of Jerusalem...but the Fast of Tammuz failed a bit today).

A while later, we took a ride at Hersey's Chocolate World (not the theme park, the big store where they tell you how they make the chocolate), and we continued with our theme of cows!! There were lots of singing cows on the ride and they were really cute. We got a taste of chocolate at the end and the kids went crazy in the gift shop even though I told them it was the first of approximately 8 million.

We arrived in Pittsburgh about four hours later, and went right to dinner at a beautiful synagogue here. There is quite the Jewish community in Pittsburgh and I must say I am a little jealous! Dinner and programming went well, and I am especially happy that I am finding people that want to learn how to read Torah and lead services. People are seriously stepping up, and it makes me so proud and joyful!!!!

Now our Wheelniks are scattered around Pittsburgh at the homes of various congregants, and I am in a hotel room about to go to sleep. I hope quiet hours are more successful tomorrow!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are so happy! Plus, a little jealous about the Hershey tour. Always wanted to do that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they use the carousel in Israel too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys104SNmhzE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordana, though we have never met (I met your Mom at Sulam) I am enjoying your Blog, and have read backwards quite a bit. I think that I am lucky that my daughter Sydney is on your bus. I look forward to reading your insights and views of the trip and seeing how they match with Syd's. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete