Friday, January 22, 2010

Firenze Friday

Today was another great day in Florene. We got up for breakfast with the boys at the hostel and went on our hostel's other free walking tour. We learned a lot more about the buildings we pass by everyday, and the tour guide was very cute and sweet. It has been cold but gorgeous blue skies and very pleasant.

After the walking tour, we headed to the Jewish area for lunch and to scope out the synagogue situation. We got some kosher deli meat in our system and spoke a little Hebrew...always nice to have some familiar tastes and sounds!

I split off from the group to track down the ever elusive Meir at his hotel. The party had not yet checked in so I used the nice Toilette and wrote a note to leave with the reception desk. So old school! I was disappointed not to have caught him but so excited that I got to leave a note because it's way more romantic than a phone call.

I walked around the city for an hour trying to track down a libreria that sold English books but had no success. The store clerks weren't that nice about it either. Sorry I don't speak Italian. I've noticed that my standards for etiquette and Italian standards are very different. I'm not saying I'm more polite (because let's be honest, I don't live up to my own standards of etiquette), I'm just saying that a very polite person in Italy would not necessarily be considered one in America as well.

I circled back to the hotel to check one more time before retiring to my hostel on the other side of town. Instead of finding the ever elusive Meir, I instead encountered a Jacob with a new earring and haircut! I said hello and good bye and nice earring and haircut.

Now I am having a little laptop time (check out new facebook pics!!!) in the hostel with my girlies before Shabbat begins. The plans are: services at the beautiful synagogue, dinner with all our friends (and all the other people we don't know) at Chabbad, chillin, sleep at the hostel, services on Saturday, lunch with Chabbad again, and then climbing the duomo bell tower. Solid goals!!

Update on el sangre en mi oreja: the ear continues to improve, I think. I have a little ringing and still sooo much congestion, so I can't hear. Anything. Still a little awkward when I have to ask what is being said in the conversation (especially if the conversation is tense!) or, like just now, when Adina told me a story but I couldn't see her so I thought she was talking to Debbie and completely missed the entire thing. Good times.

Shabbat Shalom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment