Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Allow me to relieve your suspense, readers.

I am sorry that so much time has gone by since my last Talmud class ended and I promised I would continue my last post. To finish the story of the best weekend ever:

I sat in the sun for a little bit with Josh's parents after swimming while Josh and his brothers stayed in the pool. Then I took a really incredible six-shower-head shower that lasted way longer than it should have. We redressed in Shabbat clothes and headed to the Executive Lounge on the top floor before going to lunch. The Executive Lounge provided an incredible view of both the Old City and downtown, and we munched on really delicious miniature items.

We went to lunch and it was so wonderful, even though I had probably munched on too many miniature delicious items to truly take advantage of everything the buffet had to offer. We sat for a while and had a really lovely Shabbat afternoon.

Before walking home, I stopped off at מלון ממיללה , the hotel where Debbie's parents were staying, asked really nicely until the clerk told me their room number, and knocked to see if the family was in. I found out later at dinner that I had missed them by half an hour, but it was still a fun adventure, and it gave me an excuse to check out another really beautiful hotel in Jerusalem.

I went home, finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, cried for humanity, and went to daven Ma'ariv and Havdalah. Then I rushed home because so many fun things were about to occur!

First, I attended SUCH A BIG AND LEGIT RALLY! The protest was against Haredim taking over Jerusalem. I don't claim to explain this well, but the basic idea, I think, is that the Haredim expect religious observance in Jerusalem to be held at the highest level, as opposed to the lowest common denominator. For example, the Intel company has a huge and successful and lucrative plant in Jerusalem, but people are given the option there to work on Saturdays, and the Haredim protest this. Also, a woman was recently arrested at the Kotel for wrapping her tallis around a Torah, or something like that, because the head rabbi of the Kotel freaked out. People worry about was is next and how many areas of life the Haredim will try to control. So thousands of people met right outside Beit Nativ for speeches, and we wore shirts and held signs, and then we walked to Kikar Tzion together. It was really amazing to be part of such a huge, organized, and significant event.

I left the walk a bit early to get to dinner with Debbie, her parents, Adina, Ariella, Ilana, Shara, Laura, and Sophie. We went to Noya, which I always see from the 19 Bus and dream about but never thought I would actually enter. It looks so warm and inviting and expensive and classy from the outside! And that's pretty much the story on the inside, too, actually. The meal was incredible, especially because of the company. My favorite part was definitely the tomato soup, and not the fancy chicken fettucini or elegant desserts, but what can I do? I am a boring eater. Still, the whole thing was really a perfect evening with girlfriends and parents and love all around.

After the Shabbat of Eating Well, I dragged Meir on a walk to burn off a little bit of what I had eaten. We wanted to get lost, which proved difficult since we both have good senses of direction, but we ended up in some really cool places that we usually don't see, like the President's Residence (which rhymes, which is exciting, and ought to be read out loud), the Jerusalem Theatre (which I learned about in Art History because it's in the Canaanite style of the 1930's, designed by Shemi in 1981), and some really beautiful old houses in Rehavia, a neighborhood commissioned by the British in the early 1920's for the elite of Jerusalem.

On Sunday, I was determined to get up early and work on my homework, but I just couldn't punish myself like that. I worked a little bit but mostly did other fun things, and then Shara and I went to school early for a dairy date at Frank Sinatra. Then Art History (which I just found out is baby Art History and not actual Art History because we only needed to memorize 15 slides for the midterm, instead of 700 like in real college) ended 15 minutes early and it was so agreeable (Louise <3)!!!

I went to Beit Midrash on Sunday night to eat pizza and study with Yonina. I adore her. She says "sirius" instead of "seerious" just like Ayelet!!! Speaking of which, this reminds me of something that Teeny wrote in her letter to me which I think is very true, and I experience often: In my daily life, I have so much fun, experience so much happiness, and have such wonderful friends that the pang of separation from my life at home is non existent. But then, in one moment, something will trigger a memory of someone or something I love from home and the pain of missing that person or thing is physical and sharp. I feel this way whenever I hear Yonina say a word like Ayelet, or when The Format comes on my iPod, or when the air outside smells, for a second, like the crisp and sweet cold air of fall in Rochester. Sometimes the combination of honks and car exhaust makes me yearn for the busy streets of New York City, and the academic quad at the Hebrew U campus at Givat Ram makes me dream of bustling about at Cornell next year. It seems my senses will never cease betraying my heart like this.

Monday was a usual day at school, and then I worked on my paper after school, and then I went to a really super duper uber fun football practice, during which I caught many of the balls thrown to me! It was a celebration.

On Tuesday, I had an Art History field trip. We took a walking tour of Jerusalem from the Givat Ram campus to Beit Ticho, stopping at JNF, Bezalel, Rehavia homes, בית אבי חי, and a monastery along the way. It really enhanced my appreciation for the buildings and culture in Jerusalem, and I can't wait to annoy everyone with my newfound and obnoxious random information. the only really tragic thing about this trip was the fact that I missed Hebrew, but my Hebrew teacher didn't know I would be missing so she brought in a birthday cake for her birthday and my birthday, which are today and tomorrow, respectively!! Unbelievable! I almost cried, on the inside, but then I didn't because I thought, her generosity is so much more important than the calories. So then I was happy that she thought of my birthday and also happy that I didn't add on to the Shabbat of Eating Well with another delicious dessert.

I busted out my paper on Tuesday afternoon, held an Ultimate Chevruta meeting with my faves, ate a really and surprisingly delicious dinner at Beit Nativ, and then went to Erev Nativ. Erev Nativ was a difficult topic last night because we watched Trembling Before God, a film about Orthodox or Ultra-Orthodox gay people. They were so upset! Some of them tried to change, some of them lived a lie their entire lives, some of them were disowned by their families, and some of them abandoned their faith. It was sad that they didn't believe that they could be both parts of themselves-their gay part and their religious part-all at once and in public, and be accepted. Of course, they were right, because most people in their religious community would shun them for it. I can't imagine believing that you have to change such an important part of yourself that is inseparable from every other part of your identity-in order to properly serve God! After the movie, we studied the Conservative opinion on this, of which there are two. Rabbi Roth says, simply and outrageously abbreviated: gay people are great people but they can't have sex. Rabbi Dorf says, again, abbreviated: it's outrageous to tell anyone to remain celibate and expect them to hold onto halacha; instead, aim for committed monogamous relationships (same goes for unmarried heterosexuals). Both options were a little bit dissatisfying, and both quoted the same verse in the Torah (a man shall not lie with a man as he lies with a woman. It is an abomination), and both left me feeling really sorry for halachic Jews who are also gay. I wish I was more knowledgeable about this issue.

Today has already been quite the day-rumors flying at breakfast, little kids at the guest house eating everything yummy before we got there, a lunch coupon validity termination, and a long ass Hebrew class. I get to turn in my second 10-page college paper today though! That will be fun.

And tonight, when I get home from school, my daddy will be across the street!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment