Monday, December 21, 2009

הינה הכפיים!

Continued...a week later : (

On Sunday before returning to Jerusalem, we stopped at Sde Boker for a program about David Ben Gurion and his dream to settle the Negev. I got really psyched to fulfill his vision and live in Yerucham, to be honest, and we saw some cool movie clips, and the program was more thought intensive than the one on pilgrimage last summer. It struck me on Sunday, and when we visited the same kibbutz on pilgrimage, what a humble little hut the first Prime Minister of Israel had in his retirement, and how many books. It makes America look really bad, with Washington's opulent Mount Vernon and whatnot. I enjoyed the trip.

We went on a short hike/walk afterward in a really beautiful area of the desert, which had just been blessed by rain! So there was water, which made some parts slippery but extra beautiful. We saw a family of rams (four of them!) and it was so cool! I tried to be like the ram family and walk along the rock layers but I failed and Adam had to come get me down.

Sunday night upon our return, I went on a quest for sufganiot with a fun group of boys and we searched for custard all over the city. I brought down the average consumption by only eating one, but I think most of the guys had about five each. Then we were reunited with kibbutz, and it was really great to have the five quality people on that track back in my life. Is that mean? It's kind of a joke. Anyway, it was a great evening.

Monday was school, and pizza with Aaron Max and Jonny, and a quick little football practice, and studying, and planning my upcoming trip to Italy with Adina Debbie Rachel and Ariella. Overall, a successful day. Then Tuesday-Art History (which keeps feeling longer and longer every class!), Hebrew, and volunteering at Shalva! Since it was during Channukah, I did not work in the pool again but instead worked with a group of older girls. They were really lively, friendly, loving and funny. We dressed them as Greeks and they participated in a program of reenacting the Channukah story. We sang and shouted things in Hebrew, most of which I didn't understand. The National Service girls with whom I worked were really friendly this time, and they made it really easy for me to feel helpful. And one of them actually asked me about my life and interests and it was quite nice, especially since I'd been sooo scared of the pretty Orthodox loud Hebrew speaking girls before.

On Tuesday night, we had a Channukah party with all of Nativ. It was great! We watched a Rugrats Channukah episode (what OBNOXIOUS voices they all have!) and played a great game. The game was like this: we each filled out a survey with random questions about our hobbies and interests, and then we were given multiple choice questions about them, like "Who is most likely to die of Coca Cola overdose?" and then we chose from a list of four Nativers. It really was great, especially when people were arguing about who it could be and we all ended up being so wrong. And the whole time I was thinking...what a great USY on Wheels evening program this would make...

Wednesday was a long day again at school, but the drama began even before Ulpan. We had to read Torah and recite Hallel at services because of Channukah, which is usually a joy and Hallel is super catchy and I spend the whole week singing disjointed excerpts from the service, BUT! This time, we didn't start services earlier than usual and we ended sooo late and we didn't even get to sing out loud during Hallel. It was a travesty. And not only that, I was mad! It really detracted from my prayer experience.

At Beer Pong on Wednesday night, I had more fun than usual because Aaron's friend from LA was in town, and he offered to pay AND drink for me if I agreed to be his partner. It turns out that I am ballin at beer pong, and even though we didn't win, I got a total of ten cups over two games, which is half of the total cups. David (my partner and new bff...he has a Death Cab for Cutie kind of vibe that I've been missing here) really didn't pull his weight as a seasoned player, but we had a great time. Ping pong balls are sneaky little buggers though, and it got kind of annoying to run all around the bar and under tables to find the ones that didn't make it into the cup. I got stepped on by a drunk girl too one time. But that was my fault, because I put my head under her shoe. Bummer.

I woke up at the blissful hour of noon on Thursday, did nothing for a while, and then a group of us went to Shalva together to sing Channukah songs and get a tour. The tour was really nice because a lot of people on Nativ were so receptive to the work being done there. I was happy. Also, we got to meet Yossi Samuels, the man whose parents started Shalva. He is deaf and blind, so he communicates with hand-to-palm sign language like Helen Keller. Really amazing. I met him on pilgrimage and he shook all of our hands and asked us about the cars we drive, and when it was time to go and we shook his hand again, he remembered which hand went with which car! Wow. He is really miraculous.

The singing part of the program went okay, and the kids were just extra adorable. People were enamored. I kind of feel gipped in terms of my Hebrew Channukah song education, because there are some really basic ones I strongly believe I should have learned. Fortunately, Al HaNissim comes quite naturally to me. Unfortunately, all the others don't. Fortunately, Al HaNissim is the best one in my mind. Unfortunately, people still sing other songs, and then I feel awkward because I don't actually know the words. Adina even knows Yiddish Channukah songs! I am so deprived.

I went on a midnight run to Burgers Bar with Meir and Jacob and did not eat any burgers but proceeded to smell like them for the three subsequent days. Ick!

Friday was another noon wake up day. Those are always the best days. I had lunch at home, researched Talmudic interpretation of dreams (which is really interesting!!!! I will explain at a later date. I am comparing Talmud with Freud, it's pretty legit to be honest), speed showered, lit the last Channukah candles and Shabbat candles, went to Yakar, enjoyed it immensely, ate dinner at home and did not really enjoy it much, went to a kibbutz-dominated tisch (the enjoyment level was more like the latter than the former, although I do love Bilvavi!), and read some good old CITR.

My alarm was set for 8:30 am on Saturday, I swear. It was just too daunting. I stayed in bed essentially all day, and it was glorious. I went to lunch at home and took a really beautiful walk along a deserted Ben Yehuda. It was really beautiful sweater weather and it was so peaceful! Shabbat was great.

Post Shabbos, we went to Black Burger for Cookie's birthday, and I am so glad that destiny sat me across from Sender because we both hate burgers. We shared edamame and spicy fries that weren't very spicy. Delicious! Then I went out with Debbie and Rachel's camp friends and a group of Nativers. I really like Mallen and Amalia because we are already bff's by association, so it worked out well.

At this time, I would like to take a moment to revoke my previous statement about an annoying Canadian in my Art History class. I judged too quickly, and I think he's nice.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming:

People went out on Saturday night for Cookie's birthday, but it was rather disorganized and the bar scene is just getting so dull. I know I will be dreaming of it when snowed in on a Saturday night in Ithaca next year or while at my 78th frat party, but right now I am just so over the creepy Israelis, semi-recent American pop, embarrassing friends, broken bottles, piss smell, and bathrooms without toilet paper or seats. Is it so much to ask!?

Sunday morning was an early one because of a lovely thing I like to call COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY EXTRA HEBREW CLASSES THAT NO ONE LIKES INCLUDING THE TEACHER. It turned out to be rather fun though, and the class went by really quickly. Still, not worth waking up on Sunday for it.

Art History was long, but I felt compelled to listen because we were talking about the art pieces in Israel that commemorate Israel's fallen. It's depressing stuff sometimes. You start to notice a pretty intense Holocaust undertone here; it's really everywhere. You can't talk about Independence or Talmud or art or Europe or war without it coming up. It's on everyone's mind. In a way it's nice that we all share this common history and heartbreak. I'm not saying that they "exploit" the Holocaust here, I'm just saying that it's a really big part of the mentality. (PS Nativers who read my blog-I would be interested if you have had similar experiences or thoughts).

On Sunday night, I studied with Seth for our oral exam in Hebrew, went to Beit Midrash to learn with Yonina my fave (the vibes were a little disappointing though so Adina didn't catch Yonina Fever, which is tres sad), comforted the NBA players who were all worked up about a tense set of games, and studied with Debbie for a bissle. Classic Sunday night.

Today I woke up feeling under the weather and missed my first davening ever on Nativ. Meir read impromptu Torah today too, which I'm bummed that I missed. I didn't even get to sleep more, because once I woke up, I realized how uncomfortable I was, and couldn't rest. The DayQuill made it better though, and I'm pushing fluids, don't worry. The sight of the Red Mountains in Jordan, visible from classroom windows at Rothberg, made it better. I love it hurrrr

And now we come to another Monday afternoon Talmud class. We're going to be talking about the Messiah, and I have a sad feeling inside because I just don't think it matters. I'm not living my life waiting for the apocalypse and subsequent paradise. But 2012 should be pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment