Tuesday, October 19, 2010

F/Rats, Bowties

I hosted a pre-frosh through Hillel over the weekend. We went to Shabbat services, dinner, listened to a Professor Sarna speak about Jewish demographics, went to L'chaims in the house (The Center for Jewish Living has a bar...?), went to Phi Sig with friends to meet Joe, danced. The party was shut down so we went upstairs and hung out in people's rooms and danced to techno with people we didn't know. The party started up again around 12:30. They played Nirvana. It was awesome.

I babysat again on Saturday morning. It was an experience that included High School Musical, dancing, diaper changing, and bathing. And more. The best part was at the end, after I had worked somewhere between two and three hours, and my employer rounded UP! It has never happened before. I was in shock.

When I returned, my pre-frosh was amusing herself with sudoku in my room. We went to study for two hours and then went to the Commons where we window shopped and had coffee/neither of us had coffee specifically but it's the idea that counts. We took a bus back in time for dinner with JONNY and Jesse and Ranan and Jessica, and Jonny, Jesse, and me just reminisced about Nativ the whole time. Then we changed and prepared to go out. We walked around campus for about two hours trying to find/get into a party. Finally we settled on Thumpty, a weird frat to which I had vowed to never return. It turned out to be awesome and there was a live band and I had an amazing time and dancing with Nativ was the best. After Thumpty, we went to Sammy after hours and chilled and danced in a Bar Mitzvah fashion. Except most people were drunk and we were at a frat house. I tried to do flying squirrel and was not caught and landed on my back with my legs and arms still in the air. It was mostly a failure, but the party was fun.

In the morning, my pre-frosh left at 10. It had been a wild ride. Then I went back to sleep for an hour, went to a work meeting for the hotel, and studied biology for six. hours.

I dissected a rat on Sunday. It was a male rat, I named him Whiskies. He had beautiful intestines. I did a good job. It was weird at first because he had little rat hands and little rat bones that I had to break, but it was worth it in the end.

On Monday after my classes, I worked my first shift at the Statler Hotel. I was born to banquet. I wore a vest and a bowtie. I had never been more polite in my life. I was working mostly with Hufflepuffs, and if you know anything about Hufflepuffs, you know that they are very nice and easy to work with but lack zing. I worked for about 7 hours. I was exhausted. I served coffee and refilled waters and cleared plates and set up and cleaned up. At the end of my shift, I changed back into my regular clothes in the locker room, returned my uniform, left my work pants/shoes/belt in a bag in the locker room, left the hotel and stuck out my hand at the first intersection. A Chinese man stopped his car. He thought I was telling him to slow down. Actually, I was hitch hiking. He was going to the gym close to my dorm. He was playing Chinese music. His name was Chow. First Cornell Hitch Hiking Experience = Major Success.

Today I picked up my bag of clothes from the hotel lost and found, went to my classes, and ate with Adina. Classic day. Now, off to the RA meeting. L'hit!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I'm in love with the hitchhiking thing - honey, Cornell is not Israel. I need you to be safe. Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy! I agree with what your Mom said! And it is not just because I am older (I will not say OLD). I thought it was too risky when I was your age.

    That being said, I am jealous of all your experiences and wish that I could be back in college again and read Russian literature and talk about the meaning of life! I shall have to settle for the more vicarious experience of reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete