Sunday, October 31, 2010

And then I found 20 dollars

On Thursday, I worked at the hotel from the time my classes ended (4pm) to bedtime (11:30pm). Unbelievable. Then I worked at the hotel on Friday morning from waketime (8:30am) to classes (noon). I also forgot my not-work shoes so in between work and classes on Friday I had to schlep back to North campus to get them. And somewhere in there I ate lunch. It was a doozy.

Then I had Nutrition and Writing, which were both good as usual. My 70 year old Nutrition professor, who is in the best shape of anyone I've ever seen and looks about 45 years old, took off his clothes to reveal a track uniform and demonstrated aerobic and anaerobic exercise for us. It was great. In Writing, I went over my paper with my peer editor, Claire, who is the best school-friend I could wish for. I also saw her later that night as she was going out to a party and it was really nice to see her in a different context. We definitely would have been friends in high school!

Then I turned in my 14 page biology lab report on heart rate and blood pressure. It was such a relief to turn it in! Then I went to a Trustee Scholarship reception thingy to meet my benefactress (ummm Great Expectations, anyone? I've always wanted a benefactress just so I could say I have a benefactress) and she was really quite an amazing woman. Older, stunning, glamorous, classy, the whole bit. Very friendly, and I must say, she took an extra liking to me. It was a nice feeling.

Then I went with Eleanor, who also has a benefactor and was at the reception, to Shabbat services! I went to Table Minyan because I knew Adina would be there. It was great, I got chills, no big deal. Then I went to the Rabbi's house for Shabbat dinner because they were hosting the Chevruta program and I just chilled with my chevruta and we learned about Jewish things a little bit and also just life and it was nice. The rabbi and his wife are great. The kids are a bit hyper but soooo cute!

Then I went to the Center for Jewish Living to see other people, and just hung out and talked with people there. Then I walked back to North, stopped in to see Adina and co. again, and then played Scrabble with Ari and Jake! Too bad they both suck at Scrabble. I lost to them both but it was really because they were cheating. Ari used the word "er" twice, calling it a colloquialism. I hate Cornell. Too many smart asses.

Just kidding, I love Cornell, but I am definitely a sore loser. Never playing Scrabble with Ari again.

The next day, I went to services in the morning, led Psukei DZimra, sang and prayed and whatnot, helped a woman find a class in the building when I got bored (too bad I didn't know the whole group was waiting for me to come back because they didn't have a minyan when I wasn't there...), and then we all had lunch at the kosher dining hall and it was very relaxing and Shabbaty. Then I studied but it wasn't my best study session ever and I napped in the library for a little part of it. Oh well.

Then I met GIL and it was tremendous because I have been waiting to meet Rachel's boyfriend for ages and ages (okay, I've only known her for two months, but it feels like a long time!). Then I had dinner with Adina (classic), saw everyone I've ever known at the dining hall (think Wegmans before Christmas), got my costume together, watched Friends with Adina (because we got our costumes together too quickly and neither of us straighten our hair so we had too much time on our hands), took some pictures, and went to wait on line for the Halloween party at Sammy!

We got on line very early and we were the first ones. As it got time to open the party, we were pushed back by throngs of people! Trying to get into the party really just didn't bring out the best in people. Fortunately, we got in (thanks Conor!) and got the party started. The DJ was great, all my friends were there, the party camera had batteries AND a memory card, and things were going really well.


And then I found 20 dollars. On the floor, in the frat. And I picked it up and took it home with me and let the beer dry out of it. And then I watched another episode of Friends with Adina, and talked to Meir. What a great night.

I love college.

1 comment:

  1. "Er" is actually in the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary. Here is a site that shows you all the "legal" 2 and 3 letter words:
    http://phrontistery.info/scrabble3.html Remember to block the triple word scores and save your "S's" and I'm sure you can beat those guys next time.

    ReplyDelete