Friday, September 11, 2009

Do Unto Others

I am going to try to relate the past 24 hours as accurately and appropriately as possible. I promise I'm getting to a point too, when it seems like the details are irrelevant. Also, although I feel very cliche posting a "soundtrack" to this particular post, I kept thinking about the words to this song, Indian Moon, by State Radio, "If you ever lose your way, you can call upon this family, you can call upon this day." Now here is the story:

Last night, after a really great day of school, we had a quick dinner and then a 9/11 memorial program. We watched United 93 and my basic reaction was just TOO SOON. I really didn't want to relive that day moment by moment. The suspense was awful, the dramatic irony (for all of you who weren't paying attention during Mrs. Bonadonna's 10th grade English class, that is when the audience knows something that the characters do not. So in this case, it was really heartbreaking to watch someone run through the terminal because he was late in order to board a flight bound to crash) was painful, and watching the crash was just horrible. Horrible. A lot of people were crying, and I found it very touching, but I didn't want to cry. Many people have personal connections, etc, so it was hard in that way too.

After we got out of our funk, we decided that life is too short, and we got dressed up to go out. Thursdays are the new Fridays here, because Shabbat is on Saturday. So a big group of really fun people all went out to the bars in "Crack Square," as it is affectionately called by its frequenters. It was pretty shady, I won't lie, and I think people on my program will grow out of it soon, but for right now, this is the hot spot. It was super crowded with drunk American teenagers on gap year programs and Israelis trying to sell them drinks. I really just wanted to dance though, so I went to a well-known/infamous club called Triple to start dancing. It cost 40 NIS (New Israeli Shekel, about 4 to the USD) to get in, and the admission came with one free drink. While not a big drinker, I wanted to get the most bang for my buck, and one drink couldn't be so bad (if you've been following my blog, this thought is also going to fall under the category of obvious foreshadowing) so I took a shot of something peach with my friends and we went upstairs to start dancing. At first, it was just a few sketchballs dancing near us by themselves, but the club filled up quickly as it got later and it was really an amazing time. They played American dance music for the beginning and just as it got late did they start the Israeli techno, for which I was hoping for more. We danced so much and it was so fun and sweaty and hot and dehydrating (why do teenagers think they are invincible???) and all my friends were there and I was just so happy.

We left the club around two and I walked a drunk friend back home and made sure he made it in all right, and then I said good night to anyone who was up, and I fell asleep around three. I woke up with the feeling that I was going to be sick around 7:30 this morning, and I was, for about two hours. Now, I have made some really incredible friends over the years, at home, in USY, on programs, but no one I know has ever been put to the test like this. My roommate Shara actually morphed into Mother Theresa this morning and took such good care of me I cannot even explain. She wanted to tell a staff member, and I was reluctant because I didn't think anyone would believe me that I only had one shot and I wasn't drunk and I was actually being quite responsible last night, but when Noah came in, he just listened to me and asked me what I needed and was so nice to me. Shara then went to the supermarket across the street to get me some soda and bread and she forced me to drink water. I eventually fell asleep and woke up around two. At this point, my roommate Becca was awake and she was just so understanding and loving and helped me with everything.

Finally I got everything out of my system and took a shower and brushed my teeth. I am still a little nauseous and a little weak, but my heart has never been so full. I was treated like family today by three people that I met nine days ago who just went above and beyond the call of duty. Now I have all of Shabbat to rest and recover and get in touch with my spiritual self. Everything has been magnified in meaning the past few days, and I have never felt so aware or awake or grateful for everything in my life.

SHABBAT SHALOM!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your friends, too. And you. Shabbat Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jordana, when you are home... i will hold your hair back for you when you puke. LETS GO OUT

    ReplyDelete