Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Health Triangle

The wise Alanis Morissette once said, "I've never felt this healthy before, I've never wanted something rational. I am aware now" and this precisely describes my current state of existence! In fourth grade health, we learned about the equilateral triangle of health, completely dependent on the lengths and strengths of each side-emotional, physical, mental. This day has been all about health (except for the last five minutes during which a few Pringles were consumed) and the different components.

We started off as usual working on our spiritual health with early morning services led by Rebecca. I just love how she davens and her voice is very beautiful but it doesn't command the service, it just guides it. There is a little competition and tension in the air over which siddur is the best siddur to use for your tfillah experience here, and it is making me uncomfortable because I just want to stick with "plain old Sim Shalom" but I really like it! Here is my favorite passage: May it be your will, Lord my God and God of my ancestors, that Your compassion overwhelm Your demand for strict justice; turn to us with Your lovingkindness. Have compassion for me and for my entire family; shield us from all cruelty. Put false ways far from me, turn me away from visions that lead to futility. Lead me on a proper path, open my eyes to the wonders which come from Your Torah. May I not be dependent on the gifts of others; forsake me not as I grow older. Bless me with a wisdom that will be reflected in all that I do. May kindness, compassion, and love be my lot, from You and from all who know me. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to You, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Then came my mental health exercise! Four hours of Ulpan-four glorious hours of understanding and speaking and learning Hebrew. It is starting to feel so natural! And class went by quickly today. The only difficulty for me is all the different learning styles in the one class. The material is challenging because it compounds, and a lot of people are used to reviewing yesterday's material from high school. It is a good experience for me though, to learn from other people and also to work on my patience.

I then worked a lot on my physical health because I had a great dairy lunch again at Frank Sinatra made of everything green and delicious (plus a croissant) and then when we got back to Beit Nativ, I went on a run again! I am really perfecting the art of this running business-the timing has to be just right. The sun needs to be in the specific position that occurs around 5:30 pm, so that it is light and bright and yet the buildings create shadows so the whole street is in shadow. I ran further today than I have for the other two days, and it felt great. I was really red afterward, but it was totally worth it. Then I showered and read Jane Eyre in the courtyard.

After dinner I had my interview for the Magen David Adom (ambulance) and although I couldn't speak in Hebrew (I know words like shower, study, kitchen, and other things that have no use in an interview for an ambulance training program) she said I was a very special person at the end and that she was glad to have met me! I told her I wanted to participate in the program because in the immediate future, I see that I won't be joining the army or making alliyah, but I still want to directly impact and help Israel, and a first response/life saving occupation volunteer work opportunity is the perfect venue for my make-a-difference-in-Israel goal to take place.

After all of this, I went to Cup O' Joe with Adina and Debbie and we had such a classy coffee shop night. The topics covered in conversation weren't totally classy, but it definitely looked classy to people looking at us from the windows. There were hurricane force winds on the walk home, but it was worth it. This part of my day falls into emotional health, because I really just have the healthiest relationships with people here. Truly amazing friendships that make me a better person, just for knowing someone. Everyone wants the best for everyone else and we are a great support system for each other. It feels SO GOOD!

The last thing to mention is our evening program with the girls. We had a great discussion about decision making, self respect, friendship, consideration, trust, and healthy relationships. Our staff, Cori and Shosh, led the talk and we covered allllll angles of 18 year old girl life. I feel a lot closer to the girls now and it was a great little pep talk just to remind us to be our own best friends.

This is my resolution for the new year: to be my own best friend, and to be the best friend I can be to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment