Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Just another day in paradise

Waking up this morning was rough because of my late night energy yesterday, but I made it on time to services, unlike everyone else. Then we had breakfast and got on the bus and went to school! School was really great again today and Ulpan is sooo miraculous. I am learning so much so quickly and retaining it. We had another new teacher today named Shira, so that brings up the count to three-Shira, Shifi, and Shirli. They are all beautiful Israeli women and they are all so patient with us!

The day got better when I had lunch at Frank Sinatra and didn't have to go to Jlem class AGAIN afterward! We walked back to the bus through the botanical gardens on campus (each section of the garden has flora from each region of Israel) and it was very scenic and agreeable. The bus ride back home was really fun because I was in a very bizarre mood and I was saying really weird things but my friends are really nice to me and I definitely feel like they were laughing with me instead of at me, though you can't be sure.

After school we had a lot of time on our hands so I brainstormed ways to make a fireman's pole from my third floor window using banisters but that didn't work so I turned my attention to creating a pulley system to transport goods from the ground to the top floor but that also required more work than I was willing to invest at the time so when my friend suggested a walk I took the opportunity to wander more around Jerusalem. I went to a Jewish bookstore with Meir because he needed Machzorim for the High Holidays. It was a trove of Jewish knowledge and I was overwhelmed with happiness in this two floor bookstore (with rare and out of print editions on the second story!!).

Soon after, I prepared for my second run! This time, Shara and Ilana joined me and we were quite the trio in our white Hanes V-necks and Nikes. The run was very nice and we felt so accomplished afterward! It is a great way to experience the city as well-no camera, no touring, no stopping, no shopping. After the run, I showered and went down to dinner, which was worse than usual but the company made up for it. We had a program following dinner that focused on a certificate in Israel given to restaurants who treat their workers fairly and abide by all the labor laws. It was interesting and I fully plan to support these restaurants because I can't keep eating here!

Then Ally and I helped Seffi and Josh clean and organize their Pirates' Cove Dorm Room and we were named honorary roommateys!!! The clean up was quite the affair and I was really glad that Ally was there because there were some crazy boy-mess moments that I couldn't handle on my own.

While I was cleaning, Adina found me and I realized that we had scheduled a lil date for the evening so I took a break from cleaning and went on a really nice walk with her. We walked down to the new Mamilla Mall, a really new and beautiful and fancy schmancy place with all kinds of expensive American and European stores and cute outdoor cafes. The mall is right on the edge of the Old City, so it is a really striking contrast in cultures, between the in-your-face Westernization and the ancient religious sites. Adina and I had a satisfying heart-to-heart on this walk and it was a really successful bff date fo sho.

The most exciting part of this whole great day came when I entered my building and found Marc in his room on the first floor admiring his new sandwich maker. I had bread and bowls, he had cheese and utensils, and we combined forces to make the most scrumptious grilled cheese sandwiches that have ever touched my lips. You have no idea how amazing grilled cheese tastes after two entire weeks of grilled cheese withdrawal. Incredible. Just incredible.

1 comment: