Friday, October 2, 2009

Living in the center of the center of the world

The day that was Yom Rivi’i embodies all that I love about life. It started out with my MiniMester Ulpan final, which covered the Hebrew we have learned in the last three weeks. I felt great about my test, and the best part is that I am learning all of this for the sake of learning and because I want to, not because it counts for something or because I have to do it.

I then took some Jordana time in the library/computer lab of Hebrew University to catch up on emails and facebook, and I suddenly felt so comfortable there-I might just as well have been in the library of Brighton High School which I frequented and dearly loved for the last four years of my life. It was a great thing to be by myself and yet not feel alone, but just comfortable and safe and content. I am really growing fond of Hebrew University!


I broke the Dairy Date streak for some chicken schnitzel yesterday and it was a good move. I enjoyed my hearty lunch and then it was time to head back to Agron. At home, we had a quick peer-led study session for Sukkot and then we headed to the shuk to get Arbat Haminim (lulav, etrog, etc). The environment at the shuk was invigorating and thoroughly un-American. Black hats were everywhere, little children were selling stuff, and everyone was shouting! One person came up to my friend and me to ask if we wanted to buy something, and when we said no, he asked if there was anything else he could help us out with, like a massage? We left.


I walked home through the shuk with Shira and then we prepared for the night of wild fun ahead. I ended up going to watch the Nativ Basketball Association (NBA) preseason games and I brought Jane Eyre with me and we had a great time together. Shirts vs. skins plus a feminist classic always make a match in heaven.


We went home to get ready for the mayhem and headed out to happy hour at Crack Square. I didn’t get anything, but it did not detract from the fun that was in the air. ALL my friends were there, and we were all happy and young and beautiful, and the music was loud and the popcorn on the tables made my life. We were ushered into a dance club and since it was free, I was all for it, and it was very empty since it was the beginning of the night. I like it very much when the dance clubs are empty except for Nativers, because I feel much safer with just the gentlemen from my program around. I was actually so comfortable and happy and inspired that I decided to get on top of the bar with a few of my girlfriends and found the view so exhilarating from up there, and I did not get down for quite some time.


Eventually it was time to exit the dance club, but not before a quick trip to the sketchiest loos of all time. Then we hung out outside for at least two hours, just around the bar area with a lot of friends. We walked back and the funniest thing happened when we returned home. I was singing Wagon Wheel with Josh on the patio of our building, and a lot of other people were hanging out outside as well. It was very, very late at night, and we were celebrating life, and the people who live in the apartment building next door did not want to share in our celebration apparently, so they showed their sentiments by pelting us with eggs from the sixth story window. Then we got incensed, and talked to the security guard, who said the police had been informed of our rowdiness, and then we were scolded, and then we thought it was funny (because it was late at night and they were throwing eggs and it just seemed humorous at the time) and then they threw entire oversized bottles of water at us! The bottles were open too, and the water went everywhere, and it was all on our sukkah and everything. It was just outrageous and I loved it. Then finally Madrich David convinced us to stop instigating and we went inside and retired to our sleeping quarters.


Today I woke up at a deliciously late hour, ate quite a decent lunch at Agron, went to the shuk with the Triangle of Trust (Seffi and Josh and Jordana), and I created a study session on V’zot HaBracha with Seffi which we are presenting tomorrow at Mincha. I’m really proud of our work and I learned a lot from Seffi and we complemented each other well.


The pre-Shabbat portion of today ended with a heavenly slice of pizza, chocolate wafers, and facebook. Now I must say Shabbat Shalom!!!


PS. Please become a follower of my blog if you're a regular Jordana Junkie, and also, please comment if you are so inspired! I love attention and fame!

3 comments:

  1. You are changing, my pet :-) :-( Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read your blog...it is fascinating, thanks for all that you are sharing...LaManna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordana - I am now officially "following" your blog (even though I was reading it daily anyways!) As I said on Facebook, you are a wonderful writer. I love the way you convey your perceptions and observations. They are actually bringing back memories of when I was 17, and a little later in college, when I went to Israel for the first time. I can't be 17 again, but I am definitely inspired to get back to Israel. It is not quite shabbat here in California, but it is arriving soon, so I wish you a Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete