Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rejoice While You Are Young

We have nothing good under the sun
but eating, drinking, and enjoyment
Do with all your might whatever you are able to do
Rejoice while you are young
Follow your heart's desire, the sight of your eyes

We read the book of Ecclesiastes today because of Sukkot, and I was deeply moved by the passage. I read an English summary, and Ariella enhanced my understanding by showing me some parts from the Hebrew. There are some parts that are very depressing and cynical, but I like the more optimistic lines, and I understand the importance behind the others.

This Shabbat was full of rejoicing though, and it started with Seffi and Jordana planning a study session on Vzot HaBracha, the last two chapters in the Torah including the tribal blessings and the death of Moshe. We were recruited to do this by Shosh and Cori, both of whom are undeniable. Then came the beautiful Friday night service at Shira Chadasha. I walked home with Seffi the long way, all the way along the Old City walls and through Mamilla. We made it home barely in time for dinner and the after dinner songs.

After dinner, Seffi and I joined Ariella, Brian, Seth, Asaf, Rachel, Debbie, and Shara, and I think maybe a few more very high quality people. We sat out on the second story porch and enjoyed our youth and our location and our friends. I was dealing with an internal struggle at that time though, because I am trying to keep Shabbat. I am trying to keep the spirit of Shabbat, but sometimes I need to turn on a light or set my alarm so I wake up for services. A few of my friends were watching dvd's, and I thought it wasn't in the spirit of Shabbat, but people who do keep Shabbat said it was fine as long as I don't push the buttons. I am still unsure.

After the porch, Seffi, Brian, and I went exploring Beit Nativ. We found lots of new staircases and alcoves and lounges and half-stories. It was kind of like being in Hogwarts, only in Israel and the staircases were stationary. We went back by the Yeshiva and found a window box full of kittens. It was great. Then we snuck around and scrounged and adventured!

I didn't go to bed late because I wanted to be ready for my full day today, which was brilliant foresight. I popped up at 6:45 am and dressed and woke up Ariella, had shoko (chocolate milk from a plastic bag) and cake, went with Miriam Shosh Ariella to a practice service, left mid-Hallel because we weren't feelin it, headed to Shira Chadasha, loved life, got hosted by TAMAR the coolest woman ever who has lived all over the world and currently lives in Talpiyot which is actually as far away as one can go from Beit Nativ and still be in Israel, met 9 new people who were all really interesting and international, ate incredible ACTUALLY INCREDIBLE food including stuffed zucchinis and wheat challah and everything else amazing that can be eaten, dwelled in a sukkah, discussed Gilad Shalit and the catch-22 of exchanges, and just had a really great Shabbat afternoon. Ariella and I had to motor on home because I was due back at four for the study session that I was supposed to lead with Seffi.

The study session was a success, and Seffi and I worked well together because he is a dominating force in discussions and I was in a good mood so I let him dominate. He also has more of a monopoly on Mishna knowledge than I do, so we complemented each other. Then I was still drenched in sweat from the four hundred mile walk home from Talpiyot so I showered a beautiful shower. We dined a sparse dinner and sang a few songs and davened AGAIN because we had not yet had enough praying. Never enough praying.

After Shabbat ended, I prepared for Desert Survival. This is someone's idea of fun and it begins tomorrow at 6:15 am and ends Tuesday night, with three days of hiking through nothingness and sleeping under the stars in close contact with many scorpions and no contact with any civilization. It is questionable whether or not I will survive. I'll do my best though, because I figure there will be a lot of people who miss my blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment