Sunday, July 11, 2010

Everything Happened

Shalom from Spokane, Washington, Capital of Bus C Catastrophes.

Today was Yom Superhero. We dressed in really cool outfits I made the night before and were all five Power Rangers. We drove through Idaho, picked cherries on a beautiful farm in Washington, went to Carr's One of A Kind in the World Museum where everything was one of a kind and you could touch it (we sat in the front seat of one of Elvis's cars and hugged a stuffed version of the largest black bear). Then we went to the Riverfront Park in Spokane where Tali and I got baby ice cream cones, someone yelled "GO GO" to us as we walked by in our Power Rangers outfits, and we played on a giant red wagon.

We got to the hotel. We unloaded the suitcases. An SUV pulled up to the suitcases, pulled one into the car, and drove off. Andrew remembered the license plate number, but when he called the po, it didn't match with the vehicle description. Then we found out that it happened to the best mannered kid on the bus, and he was super chill about it, thank God. Everyone else was so spun up you have no idea.

Then a girls' room flooded. I mean, it REALLY flooded. I don't know what they were trying to flush, I don't want to know, I just know it flooded.

The hotel didn't grasp the urgency of the situation. A clerk even admitted those words later, as we were all laughing deliriously about the bad luck.

Then the flood leaked into the boys' room directly below it. The dirty toilet water. Flooding from the ceiling. Dear lord.

Then we realized tomorrow begins the new Jewish month of Av, so services would have to be about an extra hour, give or take. I can't wait to wake up at 5:30 am.

Then we sent our kids to bed. Most of the girls were dealing with boy drama and some were crying. Most of the boys were in trouble for not wearing kippot or talking or other shenanigans I can't even believe I'm dealing with.

Now Tali and I are showering/ritually cleansing ourselves to prepare for the day to come. Can't wait for Seattle!

PS. Last night, I went to clean up our dining room and found a hotel worker modeling a yellow lacy bra (written on the cups in purple: LAKERS and KOBE, given as a Shabbat gift to someone mourning LeBron's move to Miami or something like that) over his shirt and wearing a red cowboy hat that we left on one of the tables. It was amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was a really tough day, honey. I know it would all seem better on a little more sleep. Just look forward to Crater Lake, which I understand is just gorgeous, and then onto beautiful California. Look for something in the mail in SARCRAMENTO! I love you, E.

    ReplyDelete