Friday, July 9, 2010

Where the Deer and the Antelope Play

Shalom from Missoula, Montana!

This has to be a short post because I don't have much time to prepare for Shabbat, but here's the story:

After I last wrote, we went to the Corn Palace (it's hard to explain..), Badlands National Park to play for a bit, Wall Drug (a really funny town made up mainly of Western souvenir stores), and Mount Rushmore (cool and beautiful, smaller than you'd expect). We spent a night in Rapid City, South Dakota, which was nice, and I got some swim time in which was really important for my physical/mental health. We got up SO early because we were driving to Yellowstone National Park, in Wyoming, and on the way there we watched The Laramie Project, about a brutal hate crime in Laramie, Wyoming. It was an amazing movie, and the scenery in it was just like what was outside the bus windows, but it kind of made me hate Wyoming a little bit.

Anyway, Yellowstone is AMAZING!!!! Bison are EVERYWHERE!!! The hot springs/geysers/Old Faithful are AWESOME! And the smell of sulfur doesn't bother me (in fact it kind of reminds me of Israel, which is great/sad) so it was really cool. We saw deer and elk too! I was in indigenous fauna heaven. I love that stuff. We stayed there for two nights in nice little cabins, did a really great bonding program with the group about obstacles, and prayed in nature. We also had discussion groups and I talked with my group about Theodicy, and it was a deep and intense discussion.

Today, we drove out of Yellowstone and here we are in Montana. It's so beautiful here. Every moment on Wheels makes me miss my group of friends from Bus D 2007, and I wish so badly they were with me on this Shabbat. I love you girls.


Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment