Thursday, August 19, 2010

Going Away To College

Wheels ended with teary goodbyes and a really long day in the airport. I finally realized how much the kids and my co staff meant to me all summer when I had to face the fact that I would be interacting with people outside the lovely Bus C Bubble. When the kids told me they looked up to me and were appreciative of everything I taught them, I felt amazing. When I buried my face in Tali's bosom for the last time, heard Jake sing, hugged Aaron, and laughed with Andrew for the last time, I felt so sad and depressed. The last day was the hardest. I miss them all so much now, but I haven't had enough time to process just how much I changed and learned over the summer.

Over the past week, I have tried to see a lot of important people in my life, tried to unpack, pack, organize, buy things (which does count as a challenge), plan things, and just figure stuff out. Being home has been weird. So comfortable and familiar, wonderful. Having very few responsibilities helped too, and I slept in soooo late almost every day. I liked meeting the new rabbi at our synagogue and I think she's going to do a great job.

On the other hand, I felt like I should have been putting kids in their rooms or answering their stupid questions or helping them find their iPods. Or something else entirely. It wasn't like last summer or any other time I've been home. College is a whole new animal.

So I move in tomorrow. To Cornell. University.

I'm nervous and excited and scared and happy. Saying good bye to Chelsea and Julia tonight was really sad but at least they will be nearby. I hate not having a routine, not knowing where things are, who my friends are, which are the cool frats and which are known for date rape. These are things I would really like to know.

Wish me luck!!!!!!

1 comment: