Sunday, August 22, 2010

O-Week cont.

6. EATING-everyoneeeee is scrambling around. We have to wait in line to get our cards swiped and then again at all the different counters. Lots of options though, and everything is marked "vegetarian," "vegan," "contains wheat," etc. It's nice, and it tastes really good. But it's so crowded and overwhelming. When I had dinner with Hannah last night, we waited in lines with each other even if we weren't getting the same food just so we wouldn't get separated. Because we wouldn't find each other for another week.
7. Weather-here it comes...it's raining and dark and windy in Ithaca. Surprise. I just thought we'd have a few more nights of summer!
8. Collegetown-explored more last night, went to a lot of different frat "annexes" (where the seniors live). I met up with this girl Cora, who is from Michigan and totally chill and not like a let's-get-dressed-up-and-impress-boys-with-our-heels kind of girl. I like her! It's literally a city of party houses. Hundreds and hundreds of drunk kids in the streets and going in and out of houses, the smell of pot every so often, lots of late night food places, and a few cops rolling around writing people up. Doesn't that sound like SO MUCH FUN!?
9. Professors-I've started meeting them! I went to meet with the Hebrew professor tonight and she was HYSTERICAL amazing loved her. So Israeli. They are the best. Then I tagged along with my friend Ranan so he could talk to a professor about Earth Science, and while he was there, I started a conversation with a professor. He literally blew my mind when he started talking about global warming and pollution and stuff. He said, "people read about pollution and oil spills as if it's someone's house getting broken into that they don't know, and they say, oh, that sucks for them. Well, it's MY FUCKING HOUSE!!! It's YOUR FUCKING HOUSE that's being broken into. People should really ask me before polluting my atmosphere. You can't just build a fucking smokestack and start polluting my atmosphere without asking." I was like, whoa, this is a lot to handle. Also, today, we went to a lecture on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and the professor didn't talk about it at all. Instead he played a lot of bad homemade videos of other horticulture professors talking about plants. His best line was, "sometimes the best way to be a purple iris is to be yellow." It was a great bonding experience for me and the person sitting next to me.

This place is effing nuts.

1 comment: