Sunday, August 1, 2010

The William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Center

Shalom from Little Rock, Arkansas!


Our first stop in Little Rock, Arkansas was the high school where the crisis of school integration broke out in 1957 regarding the Little Rock Nine. It is hard to walk on the steps of the beautiful high school and imagine the scene half a century ago as black children tried to make their way to class. I tried with all my might to feel the power of the place and absorb the information in the museum, but I can hardly wrap my head around the thought that people could hate with such strength and fury.


From the high school, we went to the Bill Clinton Presidential Center. We had about an hour and a half there to wander the exhibits and watch a short film. That hour and a half was inspiring and powerful. Being there, reading quotes and looking at the timeline of events, I couldn’t help but feel determined to do something. Just to contribute in some way, to do something of importance for someone, somewhere.


I am often seduced by the idea of public service in the form of elected office. It is glamorous, powerful, influential, consuming, and there is a whole culture of campaigns (late nights, junk food, good looking people debating politics and world affairs) and offices that I have seen a little bit of on a local level that I can only imagine intensifies as one moves up. And then there is the actual work side of it--trying to improve health care, economic conditions, the state of the environment, education, foreign relations, working to create peace between countries. It is an all encompassing job that requires such broad knowledge and understanding. I can't imagine someone feeling qualified to be a decision maker in all of these areas, but that's essentially what politicians do, all the while defending their positions with speeches and rhetoric.


I think what it comes down to is that I will always be lured in to the world of politics, but I know myself well enough to stay clear of running for office of any kind. I will put my talents to better use in a doctor's office somewhere, and I will improve lives in other ways. I don't want fame or glamour, but I do want to make a difference. I want to feel useful, meaningful, helpful. I also don't want to have to sacrifice having a private life or family life.


Only time will tell. Stay tuned at shalomfromhome.blogspot.com for breaking news flashes!

Laila tov!

1 comment: