Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Heat Wave

Shalom from Atlanta, GA!

It is HOT AND HUMID HERE! When I left you last, I was making my way across the great state of Tennessee. I went to Graceland, Beale St, and the Lorraine Motel/National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, then on to the Paperclips School in Whitwell TN (the movie about the middle school and the Holocaust and the 6 million paperclips), then to Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, TN.

Ruby Falls is an underground waterfall inside a cave and it looks like diamonds are falling from the sky, also there is a Guster song about it, so how can it not be great?

Today we went to Dialog in the Dark, which is a blind museum! We had a blind tour guide and it was completely dark and there was no light and we had no vision and we got canes and we had to feel around different areas. I could just cry thinking about a blind person in a supermarket. The museum was really incredible. I hope I will have it in me to step up and help a blind person the next time I see one.

Then we went to the Martin Luther King Jr. gravesite and memorial. He was a truly inspired individual. His speeches were so beautiful and moving. He really was a modern Moses. In his last speech made before he died, he said "I have been to the mountaintop, and although I may not get there with you, I know that we as a people will reach the Promised Land."

Tonight we had dinner at a synagogue here, we did gender bonding with opposite gender staff, then we went to a Braves/Mets game! We were there for about an hour and a half, which is really my limit. I crocheted and got a milkshake.

Now I am sleepy and in my hotel, while the kids are in their host homes. It's nice to have a break. Laila tov!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being a part of my daughter's great summer experience. It is something she will never forget.

    ReplyDelete