Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, I will begin classes. I am nervous and excited. I hope I like my teachers and my courses and I hope they like me and my outfits and my writing style. I hope I am smart enough to absorb all the information that is contained in the 400 dollars worth of textbooks I purchased today. There is a lot of information in there.

Tonight we had to go to a theatre troupe thing about diversity and talk about tolerance. It was worthwhile but some people said some pretty dumb things in the discussion. Also it brought up affirmative action which is always a confusing topic. The liberal-let's-all-hold-hands-and-talk-about-peace side of me says YES! and the competitive-wants-a-good-job-and-money-based-on-my-abilities side of me says OH HELLLLL NO!

To relax before bed, I went for a run around campus. I got further than I thought I would and I saw a lot of campus and some great songs came on my iPod. After I cooled off, I hung out with five kids who all spent the year in Israel last year and we are becoming great friends. They didn't do it tonight, but they smoke pot pretty regularly and I am worried that I won't be as close with them because I don't want to smoke. I really, really want to be friends with them though-they feel like my people, where I fit in. But I guess I don't really fit in if I feel pressure from them to smoke. Which I don't-I just want to be included in their outings, but they know I don't smoke, so I'm not included in those outings. We'll see what happens. Right now I'm just glad I have people to hang out with and they don't mind if I don't smoke.

Besides the Israel kids, I have been getting close with some more kids from my floor and also from my major/pre-med in my college. I love recognizing people when I'm walking all over campus.

Also, today, on my walk to the pre med meeting, I crossed a footbridge that passes over a gorge and a waterfall. The sun came out for those few moments when I was crossing the bridge and there was a beautiful rainbow in the mist. It's a sign!

2 comments:

  1. Honey, I really truly do not think that people who smoke pot care if you just pass it on to the next person. I would be happy to hear other's opinions on this subject, as well, but I think all will agree. Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make it to your first classes?

    ReplyDelete